Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Month Of Love

After writing the first blog, I came to thinking…..what the heck am I going to write about next time.
Today I felt the need to write about romance and friendships, it being the “Month of Love”
I’ve learnt something during these last couple of years that has changed my whole perception of life. As children we are raised to believe that you will grow up, meet the man/woman of your dreams, fall deeply in love, have children and live happily ever after. What they failed to mention are all the little detours and disappointments along the way.
I’m an Aries, 19 April to be exact, meaning I enjoy challenges and  I’m a fairly passionate person, meaning if I find someone I’m attracted to, I give them my all, sharing details and form a relationship or bond fairly quickly. Some people take longer, others take quicker and then there are those who stalk. I’ve been blessed with all of the above (except maybe the stalker one, that was a curse). I’m not going to go into all the intimate details, but along the way I’ve learnt a few valuable lessons I’d like to share.
1 – Friendships. Friends are those who you can call upon at anytime, who will help you out of a tough situation and maybe even dispense a little of their life learned knowledge to you. However, TRUE friends are those who call upon YOU at anytime, who are THERE WITH YOU in a tough situation and with whom you SHARE the same of life’s learned knowledge. Friends are everywhere, TRUE friends are rare.
2 – Love. For all you kids who have just met the proverbial “The One” and you’re oh so in love, guess again, you’re not. You’re infatuated, smitten or even lustful, you’re not in LOVE. The only way to truly experience LOVE, is to have a child. Only then was I able to experience true LOVE. The kind where you would die for someone without even thinking twice, it is beyond description and cannot be measured.  In fact trying to sit and describe it would be wasting time.
Don’t waste your time on people who don’t take the time for you. You will only end up hurting yourself. Don’t stay with someone for the sake of something, be it riches, fame or a child. If you’re not happy, and there is NO way things will ever look up or come right, get out. Children can understand far more than what we give them credit for.
I am by no means a professor or an example. I don’t think I have succeeded yet in life, nor am I in a comfortable situation at the moment. All I can do is share what little bit I can of my own meandering experiences. We all have lessons we need to learn for ourselves through experiences. Life is never easy. It wasn’t meant to be.

Cliff
xoxo

6 comments:

PIGSpotter said...

The following comment: The only way to truly experience LOVE, is to have a child-- It is my own personal opinion from my own personal experiences. I'm not trying to insinuate same sex couples or couples who choose to not have children will never full LOVE each other. Just before anyone bites my head off.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the read, Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Well said! Friends are a dime a dozen - it's when you reach a tough spot in your life that you realise that your true friends can be counted on one hand, sometimes less - but those are the ones that count. These are also the people that see you for who you are, not who they assume you to be!

I also agree that only by having a child do you experience love in all it's glory, without conditions or expectations. My 15 year old son would roll his eyes and go "Mommmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!"

ZX6_Chick
XOXO

Anonymous said...

True friendship is the MOST wonderful thing anyone could ever wish for. I know literally thousands of people, yet have VERY few of those true friends you speak of. Someone who you can tell anything and they will love you just the same and not judge you. Someone who will keep confidences and not break your trust. Someone who will protect your back.

True love - I think we as parents experience this with our children because at the time of bonding (conception, in uterus development and birth), there is no baggage (of course this changes as the child develops and grows and is exposed to the cruelty of life) and oh the wonder of loving when it is uncomplicated!!! Also, the realisation that this little baby is totally dependent on me and yet gives so freely in the simplest and the purest of ways. Misty eye stuff!

My motto in life "Love People and Use Things - not the other way around". Perhaps the key to a happier love filled world.

Anonymous said...

"People think a soul mate is your perfect fit, and that's what everyone wants. But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that is holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life.

A true soul mate is probably the most important person you'll ever meet, because they tear down your walls and smack you awake. But to live with a soul mate forever? Nah. Too painful. Soul mates, they come into your life just to reveal another layer of yourself to you, and then leave.

A soul mates purpose is to shake you up, tear apart your ego a little bit, show you your obstacles and addictions, break your heart open so new light can get in, make you so desperate and out of control that you have to transform your life, then introduce you to your spiritual master..."
— Elizabeth Gilbert (Eat, Pray, Love)

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

Anonymous said...

I agree with Elizabeth Gilbert via Lyn. My ex wife is my soul mate. She showed me so much. Taught me heaps. I will always love her. She still coaches me. Gave me 3 wonderful kids. However, we could NEVER live together. World War 3!!